History Of Lennox
There are 20 miles (32 km) between Sioux Falls and the city of Lennox, in South Dakota, United States. As of the 2020 census, there were 2,423 people living in Lennox.
A railroad branch from Milwaukee was built through here in 1879, which gave Lennox its beginnings. During the decade of the 1870s, settlement in Lennox territory gained momentum. The town of Lennox is named after B. G. Lennox, personal secretary to S. S. Merrill, the railroad executive for Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific. Although it started out as Ben Lennox, the first name was dropped a short time later. At the start of the 19th century, Lennox was home to about 90 people. By 1885, the population had grown to about 400 people.
As of 1885, Lennox boasted the following establishments: four general stores, two blacksmith shops, three saloons, two hotels, one harness shop, two boot shops, two implement shops, a livery barn, two hardware stores, one lumber yard, one clothing store, two millinery shops, one ballroom, one drug store, 3 churches, one school building, one butter packing house, an army post, and a cornet band!
Places to visit when in Lennox, SD
CHERYL’S DOLL HOUSE
It is located at 900 West First Avenue and is owned by Cheryl Cressman. Cressman started with around 300 dolls and has accumulated about 800. The majority of dolls available are made of porcelain, although there is a variety of doll types. It is not uncommon for the house to be visited by a wide variety of people, such as children and adults who want to reminisce about dolls they had once owned. In addition to the exhibitions, there is a shop filled with clothes created by Cressman specifically for American Girl dolls. A little doll repair can also be taken care of by Cressman, and if the doll needs major work, Cressman can work with someone who will do the work for her.
MAYME JANE’S GIFT AND ACCESSORIES BOUTIQUE
313 North Main Street, Mayme Jane’s Gift and Accessories Boutique makes you feel at home from the moment you step inside. This could be due to a number of reasons, including the fact that the location was a home itself in the past. The boutique, which is 500 square feet in size, is named after Tonya Ringen’s grandmother, whose photo and hat are displayed near the entrance, as a tribute to her. During the customer’s visit to Ringen, guests are invited to sit at the Victorian table in the boutique and enjoy freshly baked cookies while they shop.
LENNOX MUSEUM AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY & MUSEUM
Located at 305 S. Main Street, the Lennox Area Museum once stood at the Harney Hospital. The house was built by Elizabeth Harney with the help of Dr. Samuel Young, a nurse. Dr. Samuel Young was employed to work here as early as 1916. The Harney family lived on the third floor of the building, which was comprised of four patient rooms, a surgery room, and four patient rooms. In 1984, the Lennox Area Historical Society became the owner and operator of the museum.
Located at 102 S. Main St., It’s hard to miss Beamer’s Pub. It features Harley-Davidson orange walls and a motorcycle-inspired bar and grill. Although the décor mirrors the theme, it is not meant to exclude people who don’t ride. There are a variety of menu items to choose from, such as Roskens Pizza (with flavors like Chicken Alfredo, All Meat, and Deluxe), a variety of cheeseburgers, Chicken Strips, Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwiches, and Mesquite Chicken Quesadilla Rolls.
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
Contact us now for a FREE, no obligation quote: